Middle East follows global trend with December sales up 26% from 2016
Middle East– GMC closed out a solid year of global sales performance with a 3 percent increase in total sales year over year and 1 percent increase in retail sales year over year, for 2017.
Testament to the brand’s strong product lines, GMC sales in the Middle East were up by 26% at the end of 2017 versus 2016 results, with the Sierra, Terrain, Yukon, and Yukon XL model results highlighted a growing demand in the region for trucks and SUVs.
GMC achieved an all-time record Denali sales volume in 2017 — roughly one-third (29 percent) of GMC vehicles sold worldwide were Denali, GMC’s highest trim. The pinnacle of design, performance and amenities, Denali also had its best month ever in December with 39 percent sales penetration. Four models achieved 30 percent or more in Denali sales for the year: Sierra HD (50 percent), Yukon XL (63 percent), Yukon (54 percent) and Acadia (30 percent).
“GMC had an outstanding year and continued to demonstrate its strong position in the broader GM portfolio,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president, Global GMC. “We introduced an all-new Terrain in a competitive and quickly growing segment, increased demand for the Denali sub-brand, and consistently delivered premium trucks and SUVs to our loyal and new customers who we know seek top quality and excellent value for their money.”
Commenting on the Middle East’s results, Sajed Sbeih, Head of Brand for GMC Middle East said, “The end of 2017 gave us some impressive results that were helped by the arrival of the all-new Terrain which has had a very positive reception in the market. These record sales volumes have also been boosted by the growing strength of the GMC brand in the region. By further aligning our brand’s core values of living life to a higher standard and the introduction of the ‘Like a Pro’ campaign, under the tagline ‘We are Professional Grade’, our connection to the customer has been further bolstered and has yielded improved results.”
In 2017, quality was a top reason for purchase, with exterior styling as the second highest reason for customers. The GMC portfolio is regularly honored with awards for quality and customer loyalty. Most recently, GMC received the J.D. Power 2017 Initial Quality Study – Best in Segment for Terrain and J.D. Power 2017 Vehicle Dependability Study – Top three in Segment for Terrain, Yukon and Sierra HD. Additionally, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety honored the Acadia with the 2017 IIHS Top Safety Pick award when equipped with the optional Driver Alert Package II. Yukon Denali XL also received a Loyalty Award from IHS Automotive.
GMC Vehicle Momentum
- Acadia saw its best year ever, up 26 percent in total sales.
- Terrain achieved strong conquest sales with non-GM sourced sales up to 48 percent at calendar year end.
- Retail deliveries of Yukon was up 54 percent, and the Yukon XL was up 51 percent.
- Sierra calendar year ATP increased 5 percent to achieve the highest ATP in the segment ($48,000).
- December year over year sales were up 26 percent driven by impressive performance of Sierra (9 percent), Terrain (88 percent), Yukon (27 percent), and Yukon XL (26 percent).
- Best total sales year ever with retail sales up for Yukon (215 percent in December and 18 percent calendar year end), Terrain (60 percent in December and 24 percent calendar year end), and Acadia retail (44 percent in December and 38 percent calendar year end).
- Second best year of volume sales for GMC since the brand launched in Mexico in 2006 (second only to 2016)
- Denali penetration improved by nearly seven percent, from 66 percent in 2016 to 73 percent in 2017.
- All-new Terrain posted record sales
SUVs were the highlight of 2017 for GMC, starting with the NAIAS reveal of the all-new 2018 Terrain. GMC also saw the reveal of the enhanced 2018 Yukon Denali, featuring a new 10-speed transmission and interior design elements; the 2018 Yukon Denali Ultimate Black Edition; and the 2018 Acadia All Terrain with an available third-row option. GMC also celebrated selling its one millionth Denali since the premium-luxe trim launched with the GMC Yukon in 1999.